Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Asian Parents

This won't be the same as Chonny's vid, but the gist is the same.

Asian parents can be pretty annoying. First thing is that they never commend you for anything good. They'll never say, "Good job son" or "Congratulations, I'm so happy for you". You definitely won't hear, "I'm so happy, I'll buy you anything you want". Oh boy, that will never happen. That doesn't even happen in the movies. The only way you can earn/win something is if you make a deal. Like Steph did, she 'earned' her dog, but if you lose, you're screwed. They'll have some sneaky, fine print condition that'll allow them to disconnect the internet for a month. And so that is why I don't tell my parents my marks. But when I do, like I did this time, you might get a little praise. But then you get a verbal poke:
Me: "Hey Mum, I just got my maths test back."
Mum: "Oh okay, what did you get?"
Me: "Pretty good. I got one wrong."
Mum: "Did anybody get full marks?" [Note: if someone did, she'd be like "Why don't you get full mark?!"]
Me: "No..."
Mum: "Oh okay... what did you get wrong?"
Me: "Oh a silly mistake."
Mum: *snaps* "Oh why you get the silly mistake hah?" [Note: Envision me saying that line with an Asian accent. In reality, we would be saying this in canto. I just break into an Asian accent a lot.]
And their excuse is that they themselves won't praise their kid, but let other parents praise their kids. It's a shocking excuse because you don't get to hear any of it or if you're in the vicinity, they'll be like: "Bro/Sista, AS IF! My son/daughter is USELESS/STUPID/UGLY!" G-ster parents. And that leads me onto..........

Asian parents compare. They compare you like a watermelon. They verbally smack you around a few times, put you next to their ear and shake you around a little. You don't do so well, or laze around a little and they'll go, "Why you don't do a good job, hyah?!" or "HEY! Why you laze around?! Go do the maths!" (Asian accent. God, gotta stop breaking into that.) My parents often compare me to my cousins. Both my older cousins went to Canada to study, my oldest cousin is very hard working, makes a study timetable (which I don't and think is useless) and is rather successful. Give a lot of money back to his parents each month...rich stock trading guy. My second oldest cousin when to Toronto U but then got a scholarship to Cornell. The Ivy League one. That's fancy and good, I think. He's naturally very smart. And so my parents say to me, "Why can't you be like your oldest cousin, hah? Why can't you be so organised like him?" or at other times, "Why can't you be like your older cousin, hah? Why can't you be so smart like him?" [They have names, I just didn't reveal them.] My younger cousins, we don't talk about. Firstly, I reckon they're arrogant and annoying, secondly, they're younger and thirdly, my mum thinks so too.

Last but not least, is that they're pretty cheap. This goes for most Asians, of course, there are some who spend like they're so loaded they don't shit shit, they shit cash. But my dad is so cheap, it is ridiculous. He'll hoard things just so he can use them later. We had to throw out our oven but before he threw it out, he took out the oven light and then dumped it on the kerb. On time, we were in Hong Kong in the underground stores of Mong Kok. Okay, that sound dodgy and it is a little but those are like the perfect marketplace (economics) so prices are competitive. Knowing this, my dad spend an hour shopping around to buy a pair of speakers and all he saved was 10 bucks. 1o HKD. That's less than 2 AUD. I was like: T__T afterwards and when I complained to my dad was like, "What? I saved more than 10 dollars. Look at this! I got a free pen!"
He has now lost that pen.

Now, asian parents aren't ALL that bad. In fact, those things that I've said make them good. It's like the incentive of inequality in economics. Because you fail, you strive to do better. But in the same way, you can become discouraged and just give up (and become hidden). And being cheap has it's benefits, you get more for your buck and you get to save money.

That's good, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment