Saturday, September 4, 2010

UNSW Open Day

I was so excited for this day and I thought lots of people would go, just like loads of people went to USYD, but on the night before, I got texts and messages saying that people wouldn't be coming. So I only had 5 confirmed people going. I was so sad. But when I got to Eddy Avenue/Central, it turns out 12 Yr11's came. There wasn't a facebook event like for USYD so I didn't know. Turns out a whole load of Yr12's came as well, saw them throughout the day. So here we are, waiting at Eddy Avenu, waiting in the rain, waiting in the midst of 50 Asians all wanting to scab the free UNSW Express buses. Scabbing is going to become a recurring motif here. We missed 2 buses because there were so many people attending Open Day/UNSW students catching the free bus.

When we finally got to UNSW (Fun Fact: it's easier to type UNSW but say New South), we all instant went to grab a free diary, cookbook, PEN, etc. It was 10 minutes to my first lecture (Civ and Env Engi) so I had to run. Run to get my Open Day bag. Up the multitude of staircases. God, there are so many stairs in UNSW and they're all steep. It's annoying. And it's wet, so you don't want to stack it, but you gotta be quick. Grabbed the bag, ran back down to Webster building to Civ and Env lecture with Michael Lee. The dude (lecturer) was fairly boring, he just told us that there's a lot more to engineering than you think and most things involve a civil engineer. Dur. We were walking out when Michael said, "WAIT! STOP!" He dashes to an unattended table with pens and post it pads. I grab a pen, booklet, and 3 post it pads (accidentally), but he grabs 2 or 3 pens and at least 5 post it pads. What a scabber.

Then we go to free fairy floss and popcorn. Free food! WOOOO! But it was raining and I don't even like fairy floss. I don't even know why I got it. Must've been 'cos it was free.
Michael went somewhere else whilst I went to Economics lecture. Basically, what I learnt from that lecture is that economists are economists for a selection of 3 reasons: Power, Money and Enlightenment. Power: WalMart CEO has a major in economics, The Terminator (cbf spelling his name) majored in eco. Mick Jagger majored in eco as well, how interesting. And then the lecturer went on to say: "Other people also major economics as well, they're just not so great, like Tony Abbott and Tiger Woods". I laughed. (Fun Fact: Economists earn $2100 a week (ABS, 2005), only second to dentists.)

Then... I went to Engineering Faculty lecture. It wasn't all that great, but one of the students said that he asked his friends how he should entice people to do Engi but they all said "Don't do it. Run away while you still can". I only stayed for 30 minutes because I had to go to a UNSW@ADFA lecture. Note, these aren't really a lecture, but more of an introductory speech, but I'll call them lectures anyway. It's in a lecture hall, close enough. Anyway, I saw Piranavan and we listened to the ADFA people. What I learnt from that talk is that I won't be applying for ADFA. I mean, the free education and salary (35k) is good and all, but I have to 5 years of service. DO NOT WANT. I'll be...28 when I finish. Not cool.

So, with ADFA crossed out, I found Martin, Jeffrey and Chris. Got have a 4 dollar and rather disappointing sausage roll. I was so hungry, so it had to suffice. We went to... um... the library. Oh yeah. We swang by to check it out but we couldn't be bothered. It was 10 levels. We went down to see if we could get into the Uni Archives but we couldn't. What a shame. It was weird, a couple followed us down. They must've been finding a place to make out/love. Because the Uni Archives are the best place to hide. Then Martin commented on how the Library was sexist because there were 2 female toilets in close proximity to each other but the male one was further away. Silly Martin. In the meantime, I was eating my chicken tandoori roll. The people don't know how to heat it/toast it. When I say I want it toasted, I imply I want it hot. I want the filling to be hot too. Idiots.
Anyway, we went to. Um. Somewhere. I think we went to Advisory centre, with Chris and Jeffrey, got some business books, got pens, got some rulers... I'm not exactly sure which order this was in. But I know I went off to Scholarships talk. Only got there in last 15 minutes, but I found out that applying for a scholarship takes a lot more effort than I thought. There's a lot of questions you have to fill in and stuff. It's probably really annoying. But I guess the money offsets it.

Next up, and last one, was Architecture with Wingki. Not much to it, but the students use Crysis in their projects. That's sorta cheating. And I concluded that engineers will hate architects. They make so funky buildings, they're not even plausible. Some person's project was an unfolding table from a pie sector and an elevator without a shaft. WTF. Stupid architects.

Then went to scab some more booklets and went home with Michael, Jeffrey, Kevin and Wingki. Stupid Michael, he's got like 8 pens, post it pads and 2 razors. WTF does he have 2 razors. He has > 5 kgs worth of free stuff but apparently Tsui has 10kg. I only have this much:And I hate it because 4 of the pens are black. Dislike black pens.

Anyway, Michael got us lost in the city. We were supposed to stop at Town Hall but we ended up near Circular Quay. Idiot. Then we walked/ran to Town Hall and were supposed to catch a free shuttle bus but it was more like we were chasing it. Then I left with Wingki to QVB for a bus back home , and that's when we saw McNicol. Apparently he doesn't have a driver's license. Well, whadaya know.

Basically, UNSW is pretty cool and pretty looking. Shame it was wet. There are usually butterflies and birds singing, so I've heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment