Saturday, December 12, 2009

A bump and a spin and it's in

Graduating has been a bore. The assembly itself was alright, muscial items were alright, props to Aaron for doing those moves. He also sang very well, actually sounded a little like Michael Jackson. But after graduation, if you don't have anything to do, like sports or going overseas or even studying, then it is very BORING. Hours spent mindlessly at the computer, clicking away at things with no particular purpose. Sure, a GAME or FACEBOOK might shave those hours by a bit, but then it just gets repetitive and boring. Like Maplestory. All I'm doing nowadays is Facebook-ing, gaming (GLA campaign of C&C Zero Hour to be exact), MSN-ing, Basketball-ing and little dash of work on the side. I really should get out of the house more often, run a bit and shoot a bit.

But other than that, the holidays are boring. We get to sleep in more, which is a great benefit. Morning periods and bands have deprived me of precious rest. But if the boredom doesn't kill you, then the heat will. Australia is horrific, when it comes to weather. Summer just burns you until you are some pile of ash and winter comes around and freezes you without mercy. Spring and autumn just don't come around fast enough. And even in spring/autumn, the weather is retarded. Take the spring that just went, for example. I think I heard somewhere that it was one of the hottest springs ever, and I would certainly agree. That spring felt more like a summer, and so far, this summer has felt more like spring. Australian weather is retarded.

As I am one of those people who are going away and have weekly committments, I feel entitled to wave that in the faces of people who are staying in this hole we call a country. Basketball is a wonderful sport. I don't know if I've told you guys that, but it truly is. Sport is just brilliant, well most anyway. Soccer is just boring, but I will save that argument for another day. Sport lets those who have a physical advantage over others to dominate. But for those who don't have that natural advantage, then they can hone their skills to the point where they don't need a strong body or fast legs to beat their opponents, just a quick mind and know HOW to use what they have to their advantage. Height is not a major factor in basketball, I keep on telling people that. It's how you play with what you've got that will determine whether you are a good player or not. Yao Ming may have been born with that height advantage (both his parents were over six foot) but if he didn't know WHAT to do with the ball, then he was useless. My team mate is a midget, at least half a head shorter than me. But he is an integral part of our team, as he is the General of the court, leading the ball and starting the plays that are going to give us points. Whilst he may not have the height and jump to grab rebounds, he plays a great defensive job, able to slide his feet quick to stay in front of his man and steal the ball if the dribbler doesn't take care of it.

That is just a little reason why Basketball is so awesome. Individual skill allows you to overcome those who have suitable physical attributes, but you have skill AND the physique, then you are nigh unstoppable. And I haven't even gone on about the rest of the TEAM yet. *sigh* Teamwork is a wonderful thing, but I will leave my praise for that for another time, as well as my praise for Hong Kong. Wonderful place Hong Kong, especially with so many public basketball courts.

No comments:

Post a Comment